Monday, March 1, 2010

3.3 Productivity. Wait, what?

Today's schedule: worked at the library from 8-11:15, straight to my first class, 40 minutes for lunch, on to my second class, home at 3, 30 minute break, and 5 hours of BA work, making me finished with my day at roughly 8:30. Whew. I deserve to be eating a half pint of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream--oh WAIT, I am.

You know how I went on briefly yesterday about the virtues and consequent glories of time segmentation? You didn't believe me, did you? You didn't try it, did you? HOW SILLY OF YOU. Try it right now. Do something for 10 minutes, bounded by an alarm clock. Just pick something up and read it. Or open up your resume and remove "ecoanarchical movements" from your interests. But you have to set the clock because if you don't, you won't do anything for 10 minutes because you're being made to do something boring for an unbounded amount of time when you could be reading hilarious neoconservative blogs!/watching Youtube videos of laughing kittens!/reading about Jon Stewart on Wikipedia!

Because you, like me, have the attention span of a gnat.

But if you do set the alarm you're all, oh what the hell, it's only 10 minutes and then I can watch laughing kittens on Youtube except after 5 minutes you realize you're concentrating because you have no choice and that you don't actually care that much about laughing Youtube kittens, it's just a distraction from the panic-inducing mound of shit you have to do. But after 10 minutes, 10 minutes of it is finished, and you're all, that was really fast, and so you do another 10 and before long your mound of shit is reduced to a modest pile. I hope you're still picturing papers.

After this weekend I went from an Oh-My-God-inspiring 24 pages needing written to a manageable 14 (assuming I write 50 pages, which I'm sure I'll actually go over and have to edit down). It was beautiful.

The Verdict:
  • MAJESTY and WONDER.

No comments: