Thursday, March 4, 2010

4.1-4.2 Keep running back to me

In hindsight, it wasn't smart to start this right before my BA is due (a draft next week--really?)

A few comments:

My project of yesterday-today is running a mile a day. Not a big deal, right? But I don't exercise much, let alone daily, so I count it. Also I have been more adaptable to going outside, because the overcast depression that has been hanging over Chicago for a week finally drifted away yesterday, revealing a sky that is blue and a sun that is bright. Mmm. Something that the sunrise project taught me is how essential weather is in determining mood. The past couple days have still been cold, but who cares? That white-gray void of a sky gave up and went home. (Note: have you ever flown into Chicago in the winter? You know you must be over Chicago because all you see is the topside of the overcast, a fluffy white uninterrupted blanket.)

So I went to the gym. Yesterday running was great. In fact, I ran (OK; jogged) the whole mile easily, and the only thing that hurt was my feet, unused to pounding the belt of a treadmill. Today, though, my legs were building muscle and let me know they weren't happy after about half a mile. Ow ow ow. So I walked about .15 miles, and ran the rest.

I don't particularly like running. It's sort of boring, for a physical activity. I do like listening to my iPod, though (big points for likable rap & dance music), and I especially like having run. Ah, an accomplishment. It takes ten minutes or so and I'm done. There's a bit of an intense vertigo I always get stepping off the treadmill (akin to whooooa-I-definitely-drank-too-much) but maybe this is normal.

No epiphanies. But it's nice being a little more active than usual. Especially after hearing about this.

1 comment:

Ty said...

For as long as I can remember I didn't "like" running. But having friends who run for exercise a lot is a good motivator, and participating in activities like a Track Night has that often-cited dual benefit of having a good time with people and also exercising your body.